Allhallows has one church in regular use - All Saints - but also has the ruins of an earlier church. All Saints is a spacious, light, functional church built in 1899 from local pink sandstone quarried from the adjacent field
Old Church, Mealsgate
Dates from the 12th century, renovated in 1861 but now in ruins after the nave, south aisle and porch were demolished in 1935. The remaining part acts as a mortuary chapel for the Moore family
St Bega, Bassenthwaite
The church is situated in fields on the East shore of Bassenthwaite Lake. It is dedicated to the Celtic Saint, Bega.
St Johns, Bassenthwaite
St John's was built in 1878 and was funded and furnished by prominent local families from Armathwaite Hall and Bassenfell Manor.
All Saints, Boltongate
Described by Nicholas Pevsner as "one of the architectural sensations of Cumberland."
St James, Ireby
St James was built in 1845-6 to replace the Old Church which was deemed to be too isolated from Ireby village.
Old Church, Ireby
Built in 1170 but demolished, except for the Chancel, in 1845-6.
St Michael and all Angels, Isel
Situated beside the River Derwent, close to the grounds of Isel Hall, this church dates from around 1130AD.
St Cuthberts, Parsonby
A church has existed on this site since Noman times with a building standing from 1130 until 1869. The current building was completed in 1872.
St Barnabas, Setmurthy
The present church, a plain four square building, dates from 1794 and replaced an earlier one of 1225
St Michael and All Angels, Torpenhow
The church overlooks the Solway Firth and dates back to 1120. It is almost entirely Norman in character with a beautiful central Norman arch.
St James, Uldale
A delightful church of c.1150. Little evidence remains of its Norman origins due to repairs and extensions in the 16th and 19th centuries.
We are Christians who seek to proclaim Jesus as Lord in Word and Deed in this beautiful part of the Lake District:
through a sustainable focus of Christian witness and worship
served by a faithful and vibrant group of Christians
ministered to by clearly defined and authorised leadership
The Team comprises eleven Church Of England parishes extending to about 150 square miles of the Northern Fells and Solway Plain. (Map of the area)
We have twelve churches which are open for regular Sunday worship and two redundant churches where we hold annual services.
We are part of the Derwent Deanery of the Diocese of Carlisle. If you would like more information on the Diocese of Carlisle then please click here to access their website.