St Margaret's Church
St Margaret’s Church sits in a beautiful elevated location, overlooking the Embleton Valley and Bassenthwaite Lake, on land which belonged to the Estate of the Lord Inglewood, Richard Vane. The Church is unusual in having the porch on the north side because of the fell-side location. The Altar cross was made from wood taken from the ruins of the old church, and was covered in brass at the Keswick school of Industrial Arts. The memorials in the Church speak of the prominent families of this small community; principal among these are the Vanes.
The church was designed by Bruce of Whitehaven and replaced the old church which was located at Chapel Wood.
Normally St. Margaret's is always OPEN during daylight hours.
However, at the moment the building has to remain locked in the 3 days before and after a service. Therefore, please check with one of the churchwardens before visiting Wythop.
Mrs Kate Brandwood - 017687 76330
Mrs Andrea Cameron - 017687 72394
Wythop Old Church is found near Kelswick Farm. The Church is thought to have been built during the 14th century, but it definitely existed during the reign of Queen Mary from 1553 to 1558. The Church was closed and demolished in 1865 when the new Church ‘St Margaret’s’, was being built. The Church is now in ruins and can only be identified by an inscribed stone that says ‘Site of Wythop Old Church’. The Church’s exterior was quite plain and the interior was once described as “primitive”.
Every year in August there is an open-air service held at the ruins of the Old Church.