St James Church
Ireby has one church in regular use – St James – but also has the substantial remains of an earlier church, which is situated one mile from Ireby on the road to Torpenhow. Ireby Old Church still hosts a service at the end of August and is open to visitors.
The Parish Church of St James, pictured left Grid Ref: 89/238393 was built in 1845-6 to replace the Old Church which was deemed to be to isolated from Ireby village. The Guide book tells an interesting story surrounding the Elizabethan ‘Ireby’ chalice.
The Church is normally OPEN: All day.
However, at the moment the building has to remain locked in the 3 days before and after a service. Therefore, please check with one of the churchwardens before visiting Ireby.
Mrs B Boyes - 016973 71580
Mrs B Johnson - 016973 71578
Built in 1170 but demolished, except for the Chancel, in 1845-6.
Car parking awkward. Access across a field.
OPEN: All day
Regular Annual Service: 2.30pm last Sunday in August (but please check with the magazine)